Blog Post #7- Discipleship

1. The original disciples were all called by Jesus to follow Him.  Although they were ordinary men with ordinary jobs, they left everything behind and decided to devote their lives to God.  While some of the disciples followed Jesus immediately, such as Peter and James the Greater, others needed more information to be certain in their decision.  For example, Bartholomew finally decided to follow Jesus after Jesus told him of a vision that he had of Bartholomew that was true.  The original disciples also were killed for their beliefs and preaching about Jesus.  All of them were martyred, except John who died of old age.  In addition, some of the 12 disciples were greedy and unkind before they decided to follow Christ.  After being with Him and learning from Him, they all began to care for others and enlighten them with the word of God.

2.  I found Thomas the most interesting disciple.  He was born into a Jewish family and was most likely a fisherman when he met Jesus.  Although there is no known specific story on how Jesus called Thomas to be a disciple, Thomas was extremely devoted to Him.  After Jesus rose from the dead, he did not believe until he saw the holes in Jesus' hands and feet.  Because of his doubt in Christ, Thomas became known as Thomas the Doubter.  The part I find most interesting about Thomas is that he was not killed for his belief in Christ.  He was accidentally shot by bird hunters and was killed from his wound.  Thomas was a true believer and follower in Christ and was until the day of his death.

3. The people who follow Christ are faithful, brave, and caring.  The 12 original disciples risked their lives when they decided to follow Jesus.  All but one were eventually killed for their faith and for preaching about Jesus.  They were also very kind because they helped the unfortunate by giving them comfort, food, and most importantly, faith.  Today, people who follow Christ show kindness towards people who are oppressed and need help.  In order to give people hope, they spread the message of God and encourage them to welcome these new ideas.  Many people who follow Christ may lose faith at certain points in their life, however, with prayer and guidance they can easily find their way back to the faith.

4.  I feel that I display the characteristics of people who follow Christ.  I am firm in my beliefs and try my best to help those in need.  Whenever I see a homeless person, I buy them food or a drink to show them God through little acts of kindness.  I usually go to church every Sunday and pray every night and multiple times throughout the day at school.  Sometimes people question my faith, and when they do, I remain strong with what I believe in.  If I ever begin to lose faith, I always continue to pray until I feel secure in my beliefs again.


I chose this picture because it shows how Thomas only believed Jesus had resurrected after he saw the cuts and holes He had in His body.



"Doubting Thomas - John 20:19-31." Churchmouse Camponologist, 10 April 2010,     
       www.churchmousec.wordpress.com/2010/04/10/doubting-thomas-john-2019-31/.  Accessed 21
       January 2018

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #5

Blog Post #8 - Suffering

Blog Post #12: Church in the Present