Blog Post #8 - Suffering

1.  The 12 apostles went through much suffering for believing in and preaching about Jesus.  They suffered through threats and actions prohibiting them from spreading their news with others.  For example, Peter and a few other unnamed apostles were arrested from preaching at the temple.  In fact, the high priest was so jealous of the attention that the apostles were receiving, that he tried to have them killed.  Thankfully, he was convinced not to do so and later set them free.  Although the apostles were most likely afraid for their lives during these situations, they never lost hope.  They reacted by continuing to pray to God and were granted His strength and protection.

2.  The story I found most inspiring was Acts 14:8-20, In Lystra and Derbe.  Paul and Barnabas had healed a crippled man because of this miracle, people began praising them as gods.  Paul was given the name Hermes, and Barnabas was called Zeus.  The two apostles told the people that they need only to worship God, and that they themselves were human, just like everyone else.  Although they were given so much praise, they deflected the attention of the people off of themselves and onto God.  Their humility and faith in God is what inspired me the most in this story.

3.  I have experienced many challenges in my life.  Through these challenges, I have suffered along with others.  My challenges include losses of loved ones, stresses over school and family, and a few others.  I get through these difficulties by the help of my family and friends.  Whenever I am feelings overwhelmed, I talk to a few people who I am close with and they give me advice on how to deal with the matter at hand.  I know that no matter what I go through, I am never alone.  Someone will always be there, willing to lend a hand.

4.  A few people I can turn to in times of need are my two sisters and three of my closest friends.  My sisters are always available to give me advice and help me with whatever it is I need help with.  Since they are both older, they have experienced many similar issues and understand how I'm feelings.  My friends are always there to listen and stick with me through my difficult times.  Even though they are not a big group of people, they are all very secure, loyal, and kind.  I know that I can always count on them, no matter what.


I chose this picture because it shows how Paul and Barnabas were praised as gods.


"Blessed are the Humble."  Pilgrim at the Crossroads, 6 May 2015,
     www.pilgrimatthecrossroads.wordpress.com/2015/05/06/blessed-are-the-humble-acts-148-18/.           Accessed 10 February 2018.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #5

Blog Post #12: Church in the Present